Mark Cavendish’s collision with a parked car on stage six of the Tour of Britain has proved worse than he initially thought, with the possibility remaining that he will be forced to miss the world road race championships.
Cavendish won the title back in 2011 and knows that he has two chances to recapture the rainbow jersey. This year’s championships in Richmond, USA has been said by some to be possibly conducive to a bunch sprint, while next year’s race in Qatar is likely to finish in a gallop amongst the fastmen of the sport.
Now 30 years of age, his best chances of taking gold again are likely to come in those two editions.
However he said on Tuesday that there was a question mark about whether he would be able to compete in the US event.
“I really don’t know,” Cavendish said at an event to promote next month’s Abu Dhabi Tour, according to the Telegraph. “I’ll make a decision on Friday.”
The British sprinter is regarded as one of the quickest in the history of the sport. However he lost his chance to add to his stage win tally in last year’s Tour de France when he crashed out on the opening stage, suffering a separated right shoulder.
His latest crash prompted concerns that he may have suffered a similar injury.
“I had an X-ray which showed it wasn’t broken,” he said. “It wasn’t hanging off like last year. But it’s worse than I feared.”
The British team is already down key riders. Chris Froome fractured a bone in his foot during the Vuelta a España, while Geraint Thomas withdrew from the race on Monday due to fatigue.