Don’t miss out on the latest CyclingTips updates.
I wanted to wait until I tried these myself before I posted this recipe. This post comes from Jamie “Backcountry” Roberts and I can promise you won’t be disappointed. They’re nice and chewy and the crumbs won’t get caught in your throat while you’re eating and gasping for air at the same time. Each of these bars are about 200-300 calories (depending on how big you slice them). Perfect for the hungry cyclist. Thanks Jamie!
Round One: Cream together in a bowl or you can mix these in a pot on the stovetop too, a bit easier than mashing butter chunks, but you need to let the mixture cool before you add it to round 2 or else your chocolate chips will melt!
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup honey
Round Two: Mix these together in a separate bowl and add round 1, mix together.
6 cups large flake oats
1 cup toasted coconut
1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup toasted flax seeds
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup raisins
1 tsp sea salt
– press mixture into a greased cookie sheet
– bake in a pre-heated oven at 350F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top
– allow to cool a bit, but cut into bars while they are still warm
– let cool completely before removing form pan
– wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap for easy access while riding