“A miserable day on the bike is better than a great day in the office“. I’m not so sure the guys racing the Giro would necessarily agree…especially when their office has been cold, wet and miserable for days on end. There’s one rider who would disagree however…
Don’t get too comfortable in that white jersey Richie!
Astana let a “break” of 56 riders get away. To me, that sounds more like a “split” in the peloton, not a break. What were the contending teams doing?
Sastre is back in the game!
The bunch that fell asleep at the wheel
8 degrees at the top of the climb today. Petrov is one tough cookie!
Evgeni Petrov’s biggest win of his career. “How do you like them apples!”, I think he said.
“I still have no idea what happened … but I’ll take it”, Richie says to reporters
Matt Conn, fellow Aussie living in Italy and writer for Pez interviews Richie here.
(curated by Sam, our trivia master)
1. In 2005 an Aussie sprinter won 3 stages in the Giro. Who was he?
2. What two things do Matthew Goss and Richie Porte have in common?
3. What is the significance of the color pink in the Maglia Rosa jersey?
Answers From Yesterday:
1. True, in 2002 Mario Cippolini was arrested for motor-pacing on an Italian Autostrada and claimed it was the only place where he could safely get up to top speed for training.
2. In the Giro from 1946 to 1951 the Maglia Nera (black jersey) was given to the last placed rider. Interestingly, the last rider to wear the Maglia Nera was Giovanni Pinarello. We all know what he did after realising he wasn’t so good at bike racing…
3. Eddie Merckx is the rider with 76 days in the Maglia Rosa – the most in history.
Cadel’s BMC Rainbow Jersey Auction
Today is the last day for bidding in the auction for Cadel’s Rainbow jersey. Today is also Lily and her twin sister Ruby’s birthday. Happy birthday girls! In case you missed the story, Lilly has Cerebral Palsy and Cadel donated his Rainbow jersey and shoes to raise money to buy the expensive and specialised equipment for other kids with CP. The jersey auction is up to $5200 which is sensational! The bidding ends tonight at 8:30pm (AEST). The jersey can be shipped anywhere in the world to the winner. Can we go better than $5200?