Vuelta Tipping Competition | Stage 3
I cannot believe this. I took a punt and tipped Stuey for the stage last night and he ends up 12:19 back. Have you ever seen Stuey descend? He’s a phenomenal descender and I though he’d pull through for me. Now, even after I CJ pulled one out of the hat yesterday, I’m over 10mins back on the tipping GC.
Woddy’s Stage 3 Tipping And Stage Writeup
Last night was a win that makes us all warm and cuddly. The old cagey vet Pablo Lastras attacking just before the summit of the Cat 3 Alto De la Santa and just absolutely drilled it all the way home. It was a win for those lost souls riding for poor old Movistar in their first season. Here’s to more glory for the boys from Movistar this Vuelta.
Sylvain showed he is back to his cavalier best but wasn’t getting much love in the chase group. Mark my words, he will be back this Vuelta! The perfect choice for a breakaway pick later in the race, even though I loath to ever pick a Frenchman! Been burnt too many times in the past….
The real story of the stage was those who went out the back. Dirty Denny Menchov got popped on the last climb of the day which being a Cat 3 obviously had him hurting…if that is putting him in the Box already I weep for his next three weeks. Also Andreas ‘KLODIBEAR’ Kloden was obviously getting into the Spanish summer and partying back in the venga bus. 12 minutes down? What would Jannie say?
Onto the overall and there was some serious carnage last night. I cannot believe Kittel sat-up on the night I picked you! The first tipped rider was Sylvain Chavanel who was picked by multiple players, so the jackpot for tonight’s stage carries over.
The air is getting rare up at the top of the overall tipping classification. Bones, Ash, Tim and The Pelican are all logjammed into the Red Jersey. It’s a bit tight but I’m sure but they are all consenting adults.
In the tipping sprint competition Freddo and George Fripley are equal on 26 with CT back on 25 points. Likewise with the KOM George and Freddo are getting it on in the polkadots.
Tonight’s stage gets me excited. The Sierra Nevada. I rode this puppy a couple of years ago in November and totally froze my crackers off. You can actually ride all the way up to 3000m and it is a monster of a climb. Not too steep, just unrelenting. Its gonna get turned on tonight.
Stage 3 Results
1. Pablo LASTRAS GARCIA, (ESP) Movistar, in 3:58:00
2. Sylvain CHAVANEL, (FRA) Quick Step, at 15
3. Markel IRIZAR ARANBURU, (ESP) Team RadioShack, at 15
4. Ruslan PYDGORNYY, (UKR) Vacansoleil-Dcm, at 15
5. Nicolas ROCHE, (IRL) Ag2r La Mondiale, at 1:43
6. Matti BRESCHEL, (DEN) Rabobank Cycling Team, at 1:43
7. Valerio AGNOLI, (ITA) Liquigas-Cannondale, at 1:43
8. Francesco GAVAZZI, (ITA) Lampre-Isd, at 1:43
9. Enrico GASPAROTTO, (ITA) Astana, at 1:43
10. Jan BAKELANTS, (BEL) Omega Pharma-Lotto, at 1:43
General Classification After Stage 3
1. Pablo Lastras Garcia, Movistar Team (mov), in 8:25:59
2. Sylvain Chavanel, Quickstep Cycling Team (qst), at 20
3. Markel Irizar Aranburu, Team RadioShack (rsh), at 1:08
4. Ruslan Pydgornyy, Vacansoleil-Dcm Pro Cycling Team (vcd), at 1:24
5. Jakob Fuglsang, Leopard Trek (leo), at 1:55
6. Maxime Monfort, Leopard Trek (leo), at 1:55
7. Vincenzo Nibali, Liquigas-Cannondale (liq), at 1:59
8. Valerio Agnoli, Liquigas-Cannondale (liq), at 1:59
9. Eros Capecchi, Liquigas-Cannondale (liq), at 1:59
10. Kanstantsin Sivtsov, HTC-Highroad (thr), at 2:04
Stage 4 Preview