Don’t miss out on the latest CyclingTips updates.
Welcome to episode 10 of season 2 of The Bike Lane. With the Giro d’Italia in its final week we discuss how we see it unfolding, and also talk to Matty Lloyd to see why he’s not there. We also talk to Nicki Vance about her report on Orica-GreenEDGE, we look at the Tour of California, talk to a VIS nutritionist about the benefits of sugars in a cyclist’s diet, and do a Hot Lap with former AFL great Danny Frawley. We hope you enjoy this episode as much as we enjoyed making it.
In this episode we cover the following topics:
- Giro d’Italia and Tour of California:
- Does Cadel Evans still have a shot of winning over Nibali?
- Santambrogio talking about himself in the third person (note: at the time of recording “Santa” was sitting in 4th position. He’s now dropped back two 6th overall after losing more than 2 minutes on stage 16.
- How do the dynamics of the Tour de France change with Wiggins and Hesjedal pulling out of the Giro early?
- Where the hell is Matty Lloyd? We speak to him to find out.
- Is Tejay the next American Tour de France winner?
- Who were the young Aussies that stood out at the Tour of Cali?
- We don’t know much about Lawson Craddock, the 21-year-old American who shone at the Tour of Cali (8th on GC), but we’re keen to learn more from our American viewers.
- Tweet of the Week: Chris Boardman: “That was the best stage of the Giro I’ve never seen” referring to stage 14.
- Weekend Warrior presented by Champion System: The spectator in the Giro who tumbled off the side of the mountain, surely. Thanks Abdu!
- What’s on your mind? How much longer can Jens Voigt keep racing? Thanks to “Peter” for that one.
- The Hot Lap:(see the Strava segment here): Can Former St Kilda captain and Richmond coach Danny Frawley beat Tiffany Cherry’s or Shane Kelly’s time around the 950m course?
- Target Healthy Living: VIS sports dietitian discusses the need for sugar in our diets, despite all the nutrition fads out there.
- Interview with Nicki Vance: We talk to her about solutions to doping, instead of continuing to harp on the past.
- Congratulations to RIDE: It’s been 15 years and they just released their 60th issue. We think that deserves a big congratulations!
Please leave comments below or on our Cycling Tips and Facebook page and let us know What’s On Your Mind. Don’t forget we’re giving away a fantastic piece of kit from Champion System for the best Weekend Warrior nomination every week during the Giro.