Joining VeloClub not only supports the work we do, there are some fantastic benefits:
by Matt de Neef
December 2, 2013
In this morning’s edition of the Rocacorba Daily news digest: Oleg Tinkoff buys Saxo, will retain Riis as manager; Contador committed to Saxo through 2015; Bakelants sets his sights on Liege-Bastogne-Liege; Thomas de Gendt settles contract dispute; Michele Acquarone to tell his side of the story; Andre Greipel targeting the Tour Down Under; A look at the Vino4ever kit; Queensland to trial minimum passing distance law; and West London council to trial cyclist safety system for trucks.
According to Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport Oleg Tinkoff, former sponsor of the Saxo-Tinkoff team, has bought the Saxo setup after pulling his sponsorship for next season.
Tinkoff will reportedly pay Saxo owner Bjarne Riis six million euros for the squad with Riis also paid 1 million euro a year to manage the setup. It is also believed that Tinkoff will provide roughly 12 million euros per season to fund the team.
It’s unknown whether Saxo Bank will remain onboard as a sponsor but the details will be revealed in a press conference overnight.
Click here to read more at VeloNation.
Alberto Contador has denied suggestions that he’s looking to leave team Saxo-Tinkoff, saying he’s committed to the squad to the end of his contract in 2015.
“I have no plan to not continue with Riis,” Contador told Cycling New. “I have signed for this coming year and next. Ignore anything that is said or written otherwise.”
Contador has been linked with F1 star Fernando Alonso’s proposed team, which is supposed to be starting in 2015, but Contador has confirmed he won’t be with the squad for its debut.
“Fernando Alonso’s project is interesting and in some ways it motivates me, too. You need to form new teams and you never know what will happen, but I have the contract and I’m not planning on anything else. It will be great if the project goes forward. And then, after a while, we shall see.”
Click here to read more at Cycling News.
Jan Bakelants was one of the most improved riders of the 2013 season, taking a stage win at the Tour de France, winning the GP de Wallonie and being present in breakaways throughout much of the year.
Bakelants, who moves to Omega Pharma-QuickStep in 2014 after leaving RadioShack, has told reporters about his targets for the coming season.
“My season starts very early at the Tour Down Under, so it’s all a bit of a rush at this time,” Bakelants told Sporza regarding his resumption of training last week. “But history has taught me that I can get in shape pretty fast. This week the sensations in training are much better than last week when I was still searching.”
One of Bakelants’ biggest targets for 2014 will be Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the U23 version of which he won back in 2008.
“I would love to win a sequel as a pro,” Bakelants said. “When I was younger I won everything that counted in the Ardennes. I do know that my competition is now much greater, but I do my best on that kind of race with its hills.”
Vacansoleil team manager Daan Luijkx has confirmed that the contractual dispute between the Vacansoleil squad and Thomas de Gendt is over.
After de Gendt came third in last year’s Giro Vacansoleil offered him a significant pay rise and multi-year contract but when it was announced Vacansoleil would be folding at the end of this season, de Gendt threatened to take Luijkx to court over the seemingly-doomed contract.
“We talked with each other and eventually with the lawyers and we came to an agreement. That’s the only thing that we want to say at this time. We had a good meeting and now everything is finished,” Luijkx told Cycling News.
De Gendt is signed to Omega Pharma-QuickStep for 2014 after reportedly taking an 80% pay cut.
Giro d’Italia boss Michele Acquarone has announced that he’ll hold a press conference to tell his side of the story after being sidelined as part of a multimillion euro fraud investigation.
Aquarone has told the press that he doesn’t know anything about the 13 million euro that has reportedly gone missing.
“Frankly, I don’t understand and I want to return to work,” he said. “I know there are people that may think I have a hand in this incident, but I’ve always worked with transparency,” said Acquarone.
The press conference will be held in Europe on Wednesday.
Click here to read more at VeloNews.
There’s no doubt Andre Greipel had a great 2013 season: 13 wins, including a stage win at the Tour de France and three stages at the Tour Down Under.
And understandably the German national champion has no plans to change his preparations for next season, meaning he’s likely to come to the Tour Down Under in dominant form once again.
“For me, it’s also quite important to get that early win and with a very similar team to last year, we’ll still be focused on the sprints in Australia.”
One of the key lead-up races to the Giro d’Italia, the Giro del Trentino, could be under threat for next season if organisers can’t secure funding from local government.
The race has run uninterrupted for the past 33 years but race organisation head Giacomo Santini told a local newspaper overnight:
“There’s no point in dancing around it. As of today, the Giro del Trentino, even with an army of around 400 volunteers, has considerable costs. Without the public contribution from the Autonomous Province of Trento, it can’t be organised,” race organisation head Giacomo Santini told local newspaper L’Adige.
The local government has previously provided €250,000 to race organisers but with a change of local government in October, that funding could be under threat.
Click here to read more.
Last week we reported that a new Kazakhstani Continental team had been registered for 2014, named Vino4ever after Alexander Vinokourov. Today we stumbled across a photo of some of the riders in the Vino4ever kit and we’re disappointed to tell you it doesn’t have Vino’s face plastered all over it.
There are definitely similarities with the Astana kit (not least the colour) but it’s not nearly as garish as we thought it might be.
Photo first appeared here.
Queensland’s Transport Minister Scott Emerson announced on Friday that Queensland drivers will have to give cyclists at least a metre when passing, as part of a trial starting early next year.
The announcement comes after a months-long parliamentary inquiry in Queensland following the court case around the death of cyclist Richard Pollett.
Stay posted to CyclingTips for an article later today about this issue and about Amy Gillett Foundation’s A Metre Matters campaign.
Click here to read more at the Courier Mail.
The Ealing Council in West London has launched a six-month trial of a detection and warning system that alerts truck drivers of the presence of nearby cyclists.
Cycle Safety Shield, which can cost as much as AUD$7000 to install per truck, uses 360-degree cameras in drivers’ blind spots to detect cyclists, with the drivers alerted via an alarm and red light in the cab.
Check out the video below to see how it works:
Click here to read more at road.cc.
Congratulations to all the competitors of the Tour of Bright which concluded yesterday. We’d personally like to thank the Alpine Cycling Club, Cycling Victoria, and all the volunteers for doing an outstanding job for the 20th year in a row.
JXPphotography has posted photos for purchase here and there are multiple photos of nearly every competitor. Brian Mango also has some of his pictures posted here.
And finally this morning, here are a few things you might have missed: