One day after Ivan Basso had his left testicle removed, the Italian’s Tinkoff Saxo team has said that it is possible that he could return to competition before the end of the current season.
Asked by CyclingTips at today’s start if Basso could race again in 2015, directeur sportif Tristan Hoffman confirmed this might be the case.
“From what I understand from the doctor, everything went well and there is a chance,” he said.
“It depends on how he recovers, how he handles this thing.”
The news will be welcomed by Basso’s fans and also his team-mates, who were stunned by the news on Monday that he had been diagnosed with testicular cancer.
The tumour had been discovered by happenchance, with a crash on stage five leading to a slight injury to the area. When this didn’t settle down after several days, he had scans done and the cancer was found.
The 37 year old joined the Tinkoff Saxo team this season and was working as a domestique for leader Alberto Contador.
Hoffman confirmed that his current deal extends into 2016.
On Wednesday the San Raffaele hospital said that he had been operated on and that surgery was successful.
“Based on histologic examination, which will be available in the coming days, it will determine whether or not he needs additional care,” it added, presumably referring to possible chemotherapy.
It said that the long-term prognosis of his type of cancer was ‘excellent.’
That, plus Hoffman’s assessment, point to a potential return to the bunch later in 2015 or in 2016.