During the season I am very much a creature of habit, and I am all about routine. I’ve always been the porridge-for-breakfast kind of girl. In the winter, I’ll opt for hot oatmeal with pear or apple, and in the summer I’ll mix it up a bit with mango or strawberry bircher muesli instead (because it is too hot in Spain to eat hot oatmeal…otherwise I would!).
Therefore, in the off season when I’m no longer in routine and looking for something a bit different, but also healthy (because I’ve once again over done the cider, potatoe bravas and gelato) I’ll go for the old banana pancake. These pancakes are great for people who might have gluten intolerance, trying to steer clear of “carbs,” or just sick and tired of cereal or toast. I’ve finally found a recipe that works for me, after much experimentation. So here it is, enjoy!
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1-1.5 table spoons of chia seeds
- 1 table spoon protein powder of your choice (I use a chocolate flavour)
- Cinnamon – however much you want (I love cinnamon so I use a bit)
- 1 teaspoon cacao nibs
- greek yogurt
- Fruit (my favourites are blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, kiwis)
- Cinnamon (I add cinnamon to everything!)
- shredded coconut
- maple syrup or honey
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. I don’t pre-whisk the egg; I just throw it all together until it forms a good consistency. You don’t want the mixture too runny. Therefore, feel free to add extra dry ingredients (coconut, protein powder, chia) to get a nice thick mixture. The amounts I have given should work well. It’s a bit of trial an error which is half the fun!
- Once everything is mixed together, heat up your frying pan with coconut oil. You want the pan quite hot so when the mixture hits the pan it begins to form quite quickly.
- Turn the heat down , and use a spatula to test the side of the pancakes to see it’s cooking. After maybe 1-2minutes, you should be able to flip the pancake. I use two spatulas as I’m quite uncoordinated.
- Once the pancake is cooked you can spice things up with any, or all of the above mentioned toppings.