In this morning’s edition of the CyclingTips Daily News Digest: Ramon Sinkeldam describes chaos of Giant-Alpecin training crash; Driver charged for Giant-Alpecin road crash; Caleb Ewan to race the Giro in 2016; Chris Froome insists he didn’t ‘snub’ the Tour Down Under; Mike Turtur keen for big overseas names for 2017 Tour Down Under; Vaughters hopeful of UCI-ASO resolution to Tour de France stand-off; Australian National team selected for the Jayco Herald Sun Tour; The second Japanese Odyssey; Peter Sagan getting a razor from Vincenzo Nibali; Cannondale Pro Cycling – Inside Team Camp, Part 1.
Ramon Sinkeldam describes chaos of Giant-Alpecin training crash
Dutch rider Ramon Sinkeldam has described the moment in which he and five of his Giant-Alpecin teammates were hit by a car that was driving on the wrong side of the road near Calpe, Spain.
Speaking to Dutch news outlet NOS, Sinkeldam said he felt lucky that he was knocked unconscious in the incident so he didn’t have to witness the aftermath.
“A car came straight at us and the group panicked,” Sinkeldam said. “There was a lot of shouting, and after that I don’t remember anything for a good while.
“The worst thing was talking to everyone else – seeing them so emotional. Maybe I’m lucky not to have experienced it all while unconscious, not to have seen the others lying on the ground. Because you look at this battlefield and you see six people from your team, your family, on the ground and barely moving, it’s very affecting. Luckily we are all out of danger.”
Sinkeldam was previously reported to have just had scratches and bruises from the crash but further tests reveal a fracture to his scapula (or shoulderblade).
Click through through to read more at NOS.
Driver charged for Giant-Alpecin road crash
Meanwhile, police in the Spanish province of Alicante have charged and released a 73-year-old British woman who was allegedly involved in the Giant-Alpecin training crash over the weekend.
The woman’s name has not yet been released as an investigation is currently underway. The woman has been charged with imprudence and reckless driving but those charges could reportedly change.
Local police suggest the woman spends half her time in Spain and half in Great Britain and that she was driving a British right-hand-drive vehicle.
Click through to read more at Cycling Weekly.
Caleb Ewan to race the Giro in 2016
Caleb Ewan dominated the flat stages of the Tour Down Under and many are keen to see how he’ll go against the biggest and best sprinters in the sport.
While Ewan won’t race Milan-San Remo, the “sprinters’ classic”, his opportunity to mix it with the world’s best will likely come at this year’s Giro d’Italia where Ewan is set to debut at the Italian Grand Tour.
“It’s too early for him to do San Remo. Besides, we have the favorite with ‘Bling,’” said Orica-GreenEdge director sportif, Matt White, referring to Michael Matthews. “That’s why we left him out of this race last year, because he wasn’t ready. The Giro is the big goal for the spring.”
Cannondale sports director Fabrizio Guidi, a former sprinter who won stages of the Giro and Vuelta, expects Ewan to be cycling’s next top sprinter.
“He’s already a great sprinter, and he’s only 21,” Guidi said. “I am expect him to be the top sprinter over the next 10 years. You can see he has explosive power and he’s very dynamic. It’s just the beginning.”
Click through to read more at VeloNews.
Chris Froome insists he didn’t ‘snub’ the Tour Down Under
Two-time Tour de France winner Chris Froome arrived in Adelaide yesterday to begin a week of training before his first race of the season, the Jayco Herald Sun Tour. Froome has drawn some criticism for skipping the Tour Down Under, particularly given he is already in Australia, but the Kenyan-born Brit says it’s not a case of snubbing the race.
— Chris Froome (@chrisfroome) January 23, 2016
“It’s definitely nothing against Down Under, but for the last five years I’ve only started racing in February and just at the moment I haven’t seen any reason to change that,” Froome told News Corp. “It wasn’t that I was specifically trying to avoid coming to Down Under or anything, but how it fitted in with my program at home.
“I’ve just had a little boy and I’ve been on a training camp already. If I was to come to Down Under it would have meant a lot of time away before my boy was even a month old. So at least this way I got an extra week at home before coming down here and that’s made it a lot easier.”
Froome rejected suggestions that money had lured him to the Sun Tour but not the TDU.
“I did find it frustrating seeing people talking about things like ‘I didn’t come to an agreement with organisers over a start fee’ and things like that,” Froome said. “I’ll make it very clear I never entered into negotiations with the organisers, it was never my intention to come this year.”
Click through to read more at FoxSports.
Mike Turtur keen for big overseas names for 2017 Tour Down Under
Meanwhile, Tour Down Under race director Mike Turtur is predicting that some of the big names that were absent from this year’s race will be in attendance in 2017.
While the race attracted a strong Australian field, few international superstars came along.
“There have been reasons why some of the big names haven’t been here,” Turtur said on Monday. “Next year, there will be some nice surprises.
“We won’t be contracting any individual rider. The discussions I’ve had, just in the last 24 hours, have suggested clearly to me that this race is going to be hotly contested next year by a number of people who were here this year, but also several others who are going to come.”
It’s not clear which riders Turtur hopes will attend but many of the sport’s biggest names — including Peter Sagan (Tinkoff), Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) and Nairo Quintana (Movistar) — tend to start their season in the mountainous Tour de San Luis in Argentina, which runs at the same time as the Tour Down Under.
Click through to read more at Cycling Central.
Vaughters hopeful of UCI-ASO resolution to Tour de France stand-off
Cannondale Pro Cycling manager Jonathan Vaughters is hopeful that a deal can be struck between the UCI and the ASO in order to provide greater security for teams going forward.
If a deal isn’t reached by next year, ASO will be free to leave out whichever teams it wants from its races, including WorldTour teams that are currently guaranteed spots at races like the Tour de France. Vaughters is concerned that his being critical of ASO in the past might mean Cannondale misses out.
“We could be the number-one ranked team in the world, and I think that my personal, politically charged take on some of the actions that ASO has made would probably put us at risk for not making that cut,” Vaughters said. “The reality is that [ASO] will invite who they like and not invite who they don’t like. That’s a pretty biased and unfair way to go about it.
“At this point in time, I think that most of it is just political posturing than reality,” Vaughters said. “Hopefully, we will see some changes soon.”
For WorldTour teams, racing the Tour de France is an absolute necessity as this is the race with the most coverage and that provides the most value for sponsors.
Click through to read more at VeloNews.
Australian National team selected for the Jayco Herald Sun Tour
Organisers of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour have revealed the team that will wear the Australian colours at next week’s race. The KordaMentha Real Estate – Australian National Team will have a focus on developing younger riders.
Chris and Lucas Hamilton will be part of the team, fresh off their impressive rides at the Tour Down Under and at the Australian Road Nationals before that. Dual paracycling world champion Alistair Donohue also makes the line-up alongside former U23 Australian champion Ben Dyball, Angus Lyons, and 2014 bronze medalist in the junior world ITT, Michael Storer.
The Jayco Herald Sun Tour runs for five days from next Wednesday February 3, to Sunday February 7. It will be the 63rd edition of the race.
The second Japanese Odyssey
Now in its second edition, the Japanese Odyssey is a free-form adventure of a ride in Japan that sees challengers attempt to cover 2,400km in 14 days, conquering 11 mandatory climbs along the way.
Beyond tackling those 11 climbs, riders are free to design their own route as they make their way from Tokyo to Osaka.
The event starts on September 17, 2016. Click through to the website to find out more about what seems to be a terrific adventure.
Peter Sagan getting a razor from Vincenzo Nibali
Peter Sagan turned some heads last week when he rocked up to the Tour de San Luis with unshaved legs. It prompted former Tour de France winner Vincenzo Nibali to present Sagan with a little gift before one of the stages.
Cannondale Pro Cycling: Inside Team Camp, Part 1
This is an interesting peek behind the scenes as Cannondale Pro Cycling prepares for season 2016.
What You Missed
And finally this morning, here are a few things you might have missed at CyclingTips in the past few days:
- How Sean Kelly rates Cancellara, Sagan and Martin’s chances for the Spring Classics
- Eight talking points from the 2016 Tour Down Under
- Photo gallery: Bridie O’Donnell’s world record breaking hour
- Ella Picks: Tuesday January 26
- Daily News Digest: Monday January 25