In today’s edition of the CT Daily News Digest: Contador ‘more and more likely’ to continue in 2017 if he can set up his own team; Tour of Oman’s future depends on success of 2016 edition; Extreme Weather Protocol a success at Clasica de Almeria, but needs improvement; Riders’ association president Gianni Bugno says peloton wants heavy punishments for mechanical doping; Russia’s former anti-doping chief Nikita Kamaev dies; Giant USA to sell direct to consumers online by August; Helmet-free cycling to be considered under new ACT road safety plan; Troy Clarke’s inspiring story; Drone footage from Orica-GreenEdge’s South African training camp.
Daily News Digest
He previously said that 2016 might well be his final season in the pro peloton, but Alberto Contador has now said that it is ‘more and more likely’ that he will continue as a professional after the end of this year.
Speaking to the Spanish publication AS, Contador said that he would continue racing if he is successful in setting up his own team, and if it is of a sufficiently high level.
“The possibility of the project going forward is now 50 percent,” he said, saying that the intended setup would be of the “top level to compete in the Tour de France.”
That in turn floats the possibility that he wants to ride the Tour in 2017, giving himself two more shots to win it again.
He is in contact with several sponsors and is aiming for a budget of 15 million euro per year. Contador is due to begin his season on Wednesday in the Volta ao Algarve in Portugal.
Click through to read more at CyclingTips.
Today’s feature image comes from Cor Vos and shows riders conferring on stage 5 of the 2015 Tour of Oman. The stage would soon be cancelled as a result of the extreme heat.