At Ella, we are big fans of anything chef Biju Thomas and Dr. Allen Lim cook up. From Skratch Labs to rice cake portables to their cooking books, ride fuel just tastes better when it’s homemade.
Here’s a recipe from their newest book, Feed Zone Table: an indulgent mac ‘n’ cheese recipe to please the whole family.
Mac ‘n’ cheese bolognese
Ingredients for six servings:
- 8 ounces (230 grams) uncooked elbow macaroni or curly noodles
- 1 cup minced bacon
- 1 pound (450 grams) ground beef
- ½ cup minced onion
- ½ cup finely diced carrots
- ½ cup minced celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, basil, or a mixture)
- coarse salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and prepare the pasta as directed on the package. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Brown the bacon in a heavy pot over medium-high heat until crisp. Add the ground beef and continue to cook until browned.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, and cook until the carrots are tender, about 5-6 minutes. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Add the tomato paste and use a wooden spoon to fully incorporate it, scraping the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat down to medium and add the white wine, cooking about 5 minutes to reduce the liquid and let the flavors meld.
- Turn the heat off and quickly stir in the milk until well combined.
- Finish with the diced tomato and fresh herbs, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss with pasta and garnish with Parmesan.
These recipes were republished with permission of VeloPress from Feed Zone Table by chef Biju Thomas and Dr. Allen Lim. Try more recipes at www.feedzonecookbook.com