Pro bike: Michael Matthews’ Scott Foil HMX at the 2016 Tour de France
Australian Michael Matthews took his first-ever Tour de France victory on Stage 10, playing team tactics perfectly and besting an ultra-elite breakaway group that included Peter Sagan (Tinkoff), Greg van Avermaet (BMC), and Samuel Dumoulin (Ag2r-La Mondiale). He also finished fifth on Stage 16. Carrying him to the line was Scott’s recently revamped Scott Foil HMX aero road bike.
Scott revolutionized aero road bikes when it introduced the original Foil back in 2010, ditching the then-typical full airfoil tube shapes for ones with clipped tails. According to Scott, this retained most of a full airfoil’s aerodynamic performance but yielded a balance of weight and stiffness that were more in keeping with what riders desire in a top-flight road racer.
The second-generation Foil that Matthews is using carries on with that truncated airfoil concept, but with a more heavily integrated design. The bespoke cockpit and fork now blend more seamlessly into the frame, the seat tube shaping has more in common with a time trial bike than most road machines, and the rear brake has been relocated underneath the chainstays. Whereas the original Foil had only a modestly sloping top tube, the new model also now angles upward more dramatically, so as to minimize the number of headset spacers required — all in the name of reduced drag.
Matthews’ Foil is rather straightforward, built with a complete Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 groupset, 50mm-deep Shimano Dura-Ace carbon tubular wheels, Shimano Dura-Ace pedals, and 25mm-wide Continental Competition ProLtd ALX tires that are now common within the peloton. Two standouts, however, are the saddle and cockpit.
The fi’zi:k Arione 00 is the ultralight flagship of the Arione range, made with a carbon fiber shell and the company’s trademark Mobius carbon fiber rails. These run continuously as a single piece through both the front and rear ends, acting as both the mounting point for the seatpost and structural support for the shell. It’s also wickedly light at just 140g (claimed).
Scott’s component brand, Syncros, also developed a special aero stem integrated for the Foil, which uses the same truncated airfoil profile on the tops as on the frame — but Matthews doesn’t use it. As is common for riders at this level, he rides on a somewhat undersized frame that allows him to get extremely low, and offsets the correspondingly shorter top tube with a stem that’s much longer than usual.
The longest stem Syncros offers for the RR1.0 integrated cockpit is 120mm — 20mm shorter than what Matthews needs — so he instead uses the separate RR2.0 aluminum stem, paired with a PRO Vibe 7S oversized aluminum bar for extra front-end stiffness.
Total weight as pictured is 7.21kg (15.90lb, without bottles or computer head).
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Scott Foil HMX, size small
- Fork: Scott Foil HMX
- Headset: Syncros integrated, 1 1/8-to-1 1/4in integrated
- Handlebar: PRO Vibe 7S, 40cm (c-c)
- Handlebar tape: PRO
- Stem: Syncros Foil, 140mm x -6°
- Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct mount BR-9010 w/ Shimano carbon-specific pads
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct mount BR-9010 w/ Shimano carbon-specific pads
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-9000, 172.5mm, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace BB92-41B press-fit
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000, 11-28T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace SPD-SL PD-9000
- Wheelset: Shimano WH-9000-C50-TU
- Tires: Continental Competition ProLtd ALX, 25mm
- Saddle: fi’zi:k Arione 00
- Seatpost: Syncros Foil
- Accessories: SRM PC8 computer, Elite Custom Race Elite bottle cages (2), number plate holder
- Rider height: 1.80m (5ft 11in)
- Rider weight: 72kg (159lb)
- Frame stack: 527mm
- Frame reach: 384mm
- Saddle height: 709mm
- Saddle setback: 43mm
- Saddle nose to handlebar center: 553mm
- Saddle-to-handlebar drop: 85mm
- Total bike weight: 7.21kg (15.90lb, without bottles or computer head)