VeloClub is CyclingTips’ membership program which brings us closer to our members, and connects likeminded cycling enthusiasts.
by Wade Wallace
January 12, 2017
NEWS AND RACING BROUGHT TO YOU BY CHAPTER2 BIKES
The inaugural edition of the Mark Gunter Photographer of the Year awards has been an overwhelming success in attracting some of the best cycling photographers and photos in the world, and also raising money for three charitable causes: Oesophageal cancer research (thanks to Tour de Cure, our donation recipient), young athlete assistance, and into an education trust for Mark and Leeanne’s son Lucas who is two years old.
Mark Gunter was passionate about seeing young riders develop and progress through their career. And he loved to capture their progress from behind the lens. He was able to watch Australian cyclists grow up, he was lucky enough to capture even some of the World Tour Pros through their early years.
The Mark Gunter Photographer of the Year Awards 2016 are so proud to support Young Cyclists by providing financial assistance to two young cyclists with $1,000 AUD each. We are calling for nominations to be awarded the Young Cyclist Assistance 2016.
HOW TO QUALIFY
To qualify for one of two $1,000 Young Cyclist Assistance packages;
– be a cyclist 23 years old or younger
– be living anywhere in the world
– be competing in road cycling, track, or cycle cross events
– be competing locally, nationally, or internationally
– who needs $1,000 financial assistance to help enable a step in your progress as a cyclist
Nominations are now open – 12th January, 2017 AEST and close 11am 26th January, 2017 ADST. UPDATE: Entries have been extended until midnight on 30th January, 2017 ADST.
The two Young Cyclists each receiving AUD$1,000 will be announced 31st January, 2017 on February 3, 2017.
HOW TO NOMINATE
To be awarded one of two $1,000 Young Cyclist Assistance packages, all you need to do is;
– tell your story (eg; tell us about you, your career so far, who has influenced you etc)
– say specifically what the money will be used for and how it will enable a tangible step in your career (eg: a new bike, an airline ticket to the Junior Worlds etc)
– essentially tell us why you are deserving of the financial assistance
– you can nominate yourself or someone else can nominate you
– send a video (max 3 minutes) on youtube (or however you choose) explaining your story
– email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW WILL CYCLISTS BE CHOSEN
The selection of the Young Cyclist Assistance recipients is;
– for each individual nomination to be considered in depth
– each nomination will be reviewed by Leeanne Gatien (Mark Gunter’s wife) and Wade Wallace (founder of CyclingTips.com) and Rob Arnold (Ride Media) representing one independent person
– then collectively two of most deserving two Young Cyclists for 2016 will be chosen
– Yes it is a subjective review process, but it will be a fair one, and I know that we will select cyclists that Mark would have wanted to see the money go to.
Good luck to all our Young Cyclists and we wish you well in your careers.
Mark Gunter wanted to give back to the cycling community. And even now that he’s gone, these awards help enable this vision of his. There is still time to donate to help find a cure for oesophageal cancer, a cancer that is typically late stage diagnosed, which means treatment can often be for palliative care rather than a cure. We have partnered with Tour de Cure and you can help by donating directly here. Thank YOU.
Thank you to our generous prize sponsors: