In today’s CyclingTips Daily News Digest: With more UCI safety provisions on the way, teams’ group says progress is being made; Tour of Oman begins Tuesday with wide open field; Landa ready to begin 2017 campaign; Meersman deals with life after cycling; Cyclocross junior world champ pondering dual CX/road career; Tour de Galiyat brings rival nations together; Rapha’s London Nocturne race expanding; Where cycling is hazardous to your health; Wiggins leaves ‘The Jump’ with leg fracture; Video: Tony Spray – Poetry in Paint; Video: Training camp with Wanty-Groupe Gobert; Video: Valverde shows off ace bike handling skills.
Your Tuesday Daily News Digest
NEWS SUPPORTED BY WIGGLE
Commenting days after the UCI announced new measures to improve safety within the race convoy, AIGCP managing director Javier Barrio has welcomed what was announced and said that more is to come. The new safety rules were announced last Monday, and came as the weeks tick down to the first anniversary of the passing of Antoine Demoitiè. The Belgian rider was killed in a freak accident during last year’s Gent-Wevelgem race, crashing and then being hit by a race motorbike.
While that was deemed an accident and one which was not the fault of the moto pilot, there have been a spate of collisions between motorbikes or cars and riders in recent years, putting pressure on the UCI and others to come up with new safety provisions.
Last week’s new rules included a ban on the use of mobile phones by drivers plus a prohibition on TV screens in the front of team cars. Limitations were also placed on overtaking of the peloton at various points during races, including the final ten kilometres. In addition, recommendations were made that motorbikes be smaller and more manoeuvrable.
Barrio, who heads up the team representative group AIGCP, said that while the new rules and recommendations didn’t tick all the boxes which had been called for by various stakeholder groups, that the advancements should be acknowledged. He also said that what was announced was a first step, and that more is to come.
“We, the teams and other stakeholders were part of this and supported this,” Barrio told CyclingTips. “It is part of a whole, there are other things in the works. I don’t want to talk too much about that because I think it is up to the UCI to announce it on its own terms. Two things I can say about it – it is consensus based, so that is good. And it is part of a whole, there are other things coming up. It shouldn’t be judged on that, we should wait for the rest to come along.”
Click through to read more at CyclingTips.
Today’s feature image is from inside the pits at the Middelkerke race of the Superprestige series with Lars van der Haar (Telenet Fidea Lions) coming in for a bike change.