Mark Gunter Photographer of the Year Awards – Young Cyclist Assistance nominations closing soon!
The 2017 Mark Gunter Photographer of the Year Awards are so far an outstanding success, with a phenomenal assortment of pictures from talented cycling photographers around the world. The core of the competition has always been about more than just the pictures, however. Established in memory of Mark Gunter, who lost his life at a tragically young age to oesophageal cancer, the Awards are a fundraiser for three charitable causes – cancer research through Australian Cancer Research Foundation, Tour de Cure, and financially helping promising young cyclists through Young Cyclist Assistance.
Nominations for the Young Cyclist Assistance fund are now open, which will support up to three young cyclists with AUD$1,000 of financial assistance each to help them in their development.
This was a cause close to Mark’s heart. He loved to see young cyclists develop – from behind the lens – through the ranks of cycling; from local, through juniors, at state level, to national series, and onto development teams, and for some through to the Pro Tour teams.
He was fortunate enough to witness their growth, their strength, their passion and determination, and their will to succeed. It can be a self funded sport, and it’s a hard slog to manage training, events, good nutrition with school, uni and part time work. That’s how the Young Cyclist Assistance can help – with AUD$1,000 take some of the financial pressure off.
How to qualify
To qualify for one of up to three AUD$1,000 Young Cyclist Assistance packages, you need to:
- be a cyclist 23 years old or younger
- be living anywhere in the world
- be competing in road cycling, track, or cycle cross events
- be competing locally, nationally, or internationally
- who need $1,000 financial assistance to help enable a step in your progress as a cyclist
- Nominations are now open – from 1st December, 2017 AEDT and close 1159pm 4th January, 2018 AEDT.
- Up to three Young Cyclists each receiving AUD$1,000 will be announced 12th January, 2018.
How to nominate
To be awarded one of up to three AUD$1,000 Young Cyclist Assistance packages, all you need to do is:
- tell your story (eg; tell us about you, your career so far, who has influenced you etc)
- say specifically what the money will be used for and how it will enable a tangible step in your career (eg: a new bike, an airline ticket to a race, etc)
- tell us why you are deserving of the financial assistance
- you can nominate yourself or someone else can nominate you
- send a video (max 3 minutes) explaining your story
- email your entry to email@example.com
This year we are proud to announce that Koen de Kort – Pro Cyclist for Team Trek Segafredo – will be the third and independent judge. We’re excited to have Koen join the team; he brings the voice and experience of someone who knows what it’s like to move through the ranks of cycling.
The selection of the 2017 Young Cyclist Assistance recipients involves:
- each individual nomination to be considered in depth
- a shortlist of nominations will be evaluated by Leeanne Gatien (Mark Gunter’s wife), Wade Wallace (publisher of CyclingTips.com) and Koen de Kort (Pro Cyclist for Team Trek Segafredo)
- then collectively up to three of the most deserving Young Cyclists for 2017 will be chosen
Yes it is a somewhat subjective process, but it will be a fair one, and I know that we will select cyclists that Mark would have wanted to see the money go to.
Good luck to all our Young Cyclists and we wish you well in your careers.
Mark wanted to give back to the cycling community. And even now that he’s gone, these awards help enable this vision of his. There is still time to donate to help fund cancer research. We have partnered with Tour de Cure and Australian Cancer Research Foundation – you can help by donating directly. Thank you.