Fabio Jakobsen successfully brought out of induced coma
Fabio Jakobsen is no longer in a coma.
The 23-year-old Dutchman had been in an induced coma since Wednesday, when he was seriously injured in a crash on stage 1 of the Tour of Poland. Two days later and after receiving extensive medical treatment that included a surgery lasting for several hours, Jakobsen was awake at the hospital.
“We have good news from the hospital in Sosnowiec!” Tour of Poland organizers said in a Tweet on Friday. “@FabioJakobsen is awake now from the coma. Condition is ‘good.'”
Pawel Gruenpeter, deputy director of the hospital, provided further information to Polish media.
“The patient is conscious. He is responding to commands and is breathing unaided,” Gruenpeter said. “The blood pressure is normal. We are very happy today.”
Deceuninck-Quick-Step has since confirmed the news.
“Fabio, who Thursday night underwent a five-hour maxillofacial surgery, was able to move his legs and arms and communicate with the doctors, which immediately ruled out major neurological problems,” read a statement from the team. “Due to the surgery, speaking and eating will be a challenge in the coming period as the recovery process is expected to be a long and arduous one.”
The Dutch national road champ is expected to remain in the hospital for some time as he continues to be treated for his injuries, which reportedly include numerous broken bones in his face.