Don’t miss out on the latest CyclingTips updates.
Giro has added two new road shoes to its lineup, the Regime and Regime W, offering similar design and materials to the top-end Giro Imperial at a much more attainable price.
The new shoes use a Synchwire laminated upper that is similar, but not identical, to the Imperial road shoe and Sector mountain bike/gravel shoe. The back of the heel gets a reflective treatment, two Boa L6 dials handle fit duties, and a carbon composite sole should keep things stiff.
At US $225 / AUD $350 / £220 / €230, the Regime slots in well below the Imperial’s eye-watering US$425 asking price, and is also a bit cheaper than the laced Empire SLX, which is US$375.
As one might expect, the Regime is a bit heavier, at 265 grams per shoe. The lightest shoe Giro makes, the Empire SLX, comes in around 185 grams per shoe, and the Imperial weighs 215 grams.
In addition, the Regime’s Boa L6 dials are less refined than the IP1 found on the Imperial, offering micro-adjustable tightening and a macro (in other words, all at once) release, rather than micro-adjustments in both directions.
Synchwire has proven popular since it was introduced on the Imperial, which we reviewed in 2019. The uppers are a monofilament mesh, thin and supple. On the Imperial, we found Synchwire makes for an admirably slipper-like and breathable feel, but without any significant stretch. Though we haven’t tested the Regimes yet, the feel should be somewhat similar (and we’ve got a pair inbound for test).
The carbon-composite outsole of the Regime is new from Giro and includes injected TPU walking pads and 5 mm of fore/aft adjustment in the cleat bolts. Most of Giro’s road line has fixed mount points for the cleats.
Inside, the Regimes come with a 3D-molded footbed with an antimicrobial treatment.
Colors and features are the same across the Regime and Regime W, but the W is offered in sizes down to 36 and up to 43 while the Regime starts at 39 and goes up to 50.
Giro Regime specs and weight
- Upper: One-piece Synchwire upper with thermo-bonded exo-structure, reflective heel tab and details, two BOA L6 dials featuring 1 mm adjustment and macro release, with steel lace and soft lace guides
- Outsole: Carbon-composite 3-bolt plate with dual-injected TPU walking pads, stainless steel hardware with 5mm fore/aft adjustment
- Footbed: 3D Molded footbed with medium arch support
- Weight: Regime 265 grams (size 42.5 – single shoe)
- Sizing: Men’s Regime: 39–50 in whole sizes, and 42.5-45.5 half-sizes
- Women’s Regime: W 36–43 in women’s whole sizes, and 37.5-42.5 half-sizes