Don’t miss out on the latest CyclingTips updates.
AusCycling has unveiled the 2021 National Road Series (NRS) calendar, revealing the return of a full schedule after an interrupted year of racing.
As in recent years the NRS calendar will be split into two parts: a ‘Classics’ period from February through May featuring one-day races, and a ‘Tours’ period from July through December featuring stage races.
The 2021 NRS season begins with the 105th edition of the Melbourne to Warrnambool on February 13 (men only), followed by the Tour de Brisbane in April (men and women) and the Grafton to Inverell in early May (men and women). The Tour de Brisbane will incorporate the Oceania Road Championships, while the Grafton to Inverell will be the first edition to have a women’s race at NRS level.
The four-day Ride Sunshine Coast (men and women) is a new addition to the NRS calendar in 2021, as is L’Etape Australia which will be held in early December and will also feature men’s and women’s races.
“The interest by organisers and teams for the 2021 season has been tremendous,” said AusCycling’s General Manager of Events and Racing, Kipp Kaufmann. “After a tough 2020 we are excited to expand the series this year. The quality of the series continues to grow as a platform to develop the next generation of Australian road talent.”
The 2021 NRS calendar will also feature the continuation of the AusCycling National ESport Cycling Series, comprising five races on Zwift between May 23 and July 25.
The 2020 NRS season, meanwhile, is still in progress. The series began in February with the Melbourne to Warrnambool but was then halted due to COVID-19. This Saturday November 28 teams will converge on the Tweed Region of northern New South Wales for nine consecutive days of racing, featuring time trials, criteriums, and road races.
2021 AusCycling National Road Series Calendar
– February 13: Melbourne to Warrnambool Classic (men) Victoria
– April 11: Tour de Brisbane (men and women)** Queensland
– May 8: Grafton to Inverell (men and women) New South Wales
– July 30 – August 1: Tour of the Tropics (men) Queensland
– August 6-8: Battle on the Border (men and women) New South Wales
– Aug 31–Sep 5: Tour of the Great South Coast (men and women TBC) Victoria
– October 1-3,: Tour of Gippsland (men and women) Victoria
– October 14-17: Ride Sunshine Coast (men and women) Queensland
– November 24-28: Tour of Tasmania (men and women)` Tasmania
– Early December: L’Etape Australia (men and women)^ New South Wales
2021 AusCycling National ESport Cycling Series
– May 23: Round #1
– June 6: Round #2
– June 20: Round #3
– July 11: Round #4
– July 25: Round #5
^ L’Etape will be held twice in 2021 (March & December) with December edition to feature in the NRS.
` The Women’s Tour of Tasmania will be raced from November 26-28.
** To incorporate the Oceania Road Championships. The Oceania TT Championships will be held on April 12, 2021.