Every cyclist has their own preferences, but when it comes to bespoke bicycles, one brand stands apart. Based in Geelong, Australia, Baum Cycles has been making personalised frames by hand for over 30 years.
Born of a shared passion for the sport, Rapha’s relationship with Baum dates back over a decade and several special edition frames. For many years, Darren Baum - Baum Cycles Founder and Manager Director, and Simon Mottram – Rapha founder and CEO – have joined hundreds of local RCC members to watch the defining Tour Down Under stage on Willunga Hill.
Now, the Rapha Cycling Club is delighted to team up with Baum Cycles once again to create something extra special for RCC members: a special edition version of Baum’s next generation all-rounder road bike, the Orbis. As well as the Club’s signature stripes, every frame will feature a local Chapter icon on the top tube and a personalised RCC number etched into the chainstay.
Only 100 frames will be made and RCC members will have the choice of two frame options. 75 framesets will be available via the ReadyMade service, which offers significant personalisation of seven standard frame sizes. And for members in search of individualised ride characteristics and handling, a further 25 framesets will be available through the Tailored service - a nod to the 25 years Baum has commercially been making bespoke bikes.
Under the hood(s) the bike is equipped with Shimano’s latest Dura Ace groupset. The Shimano Dura Ace WH- R9270 wheelset offers the opportunity for further customisation with a choice of three rim depths to suit various terrains.
Meanwhile the cockpit is composed of lightweight components from ENVE, who provides the handlebar, stem and seatpost. Topping it all, there’s a choice of saddles from Pro and high grip bar tape from Silca.
Mechanically minded from an early age, Darren started building bikes in his teens and hasn’t looked back. At the helm of Baum Cycles, he now has over 30 years experience handcrafting bespoke bicycles. And though they don’t consider themselves to be industry leaders, they never follow either.
At Baum, they ride their own race. Each frame they build becomes a shared passion project that begins with an in-depth consultation. And since everything from frame geometry and componentry to the colour scheme can be fully personalised, there’s plenty to talk about.
“Every person that turns up to talk to us comes for a very different reason,” says Darren Baum, Baum Cycles Founder and Managing Director. “It’s up to us to work out why they’ve come. Do they want something that’s handmade? Are they experiencing pain and need a bike that really fits them? Or do they just really like a particular colour? Whatever their reason for coming to us, it’s our job to create the bike of their dreams that’ll last a lifetime.”
Simon Mottram, Rapha Founder and CEO: “I’ve known Darren for many years, since my earliest trips to Australia. His relentless pursuit of perfection in bike design and custom bike manufacturing has been remarkable and I’ve been fortunate to ride his wonderful titanium machines in the past. Rapha and Baum have worked together many times over the years and it has always been a very natural partnership - as it feels for a Baum customer and their bike. So it’s no surprise that this is the most beautiful RCC bike we have offered yet. “
More information can be found at: baumcycles.com/rapha-special
- READYMADE This is the fastest way to get your new bike, ReadyMade frames are available in four standard frame sizes (50-56cm) with three more (48, 58 and 60cm) to follow soon. Ready to be painted with your name, RCC number and chapter logo, the frame may be pre-built but some decisions are yet to be made. You choose your wheel depth, gear ratios and, most importantly, decide between a Full Gloss or Matte/Gloss finish.
- TAILORED For members in search of a frameset with individualised ride characteristics that fits like a glove, Baum’s Tailored service includes custom sizing, personalised handling and tuned tube selections. Additional upgrades including Partington wheels, Busyman tape, a refinished saddle and Silca frame and floor pumps that match your paint are also available.
- ReadyMade features include: Butted Titanium 3/2.5 seamless tubing, Shimano Dura Ace Di2 R9200 groupset, semi-integrated Cane Creek 110 headset, ENVE RD disc fork, proprietary 6/4 Ti thru axle dropouts, T47 bottom bracket shell, maximum tyre size 34 mm measured.
- Tailored includes full ReadyMade package, plus: Custom fitting, personalised handling, tuned tube selection and butting, Busyman tape and refinished saddle, Partington wheelset, Silca Impero Ultimate frame pump.
- Prices start from A$22,200
WHAT IS ‘FROM THE SOURCE’?
When you see an article containing the ‘From the Source’ label on the homepage or with the headline in blue, note that this is content directly from the brand which has been vetted by our editors and deemed worthy of your attention. This is not paid or sponsored content, but rather a way to bring you news worth sharing while freeing up our editors to spend their time adding value where their expertise lies. Follow the link to learn more about this type of content and our related publishing guidelines.