New signing Milan Vader during a pre-season Jumbo-Visma training camp in Alicante, Spain.

Milan Vader ‘basically had to learn everything from zero again’ post crash

The Jumbo-Visma rider has provided an update on his condition three weeks after crashing hard during Itzulia Basque Country.

by Kit Nicholson

photography by Cor Vos

Milan Vader has provided an update on his condition via social media, describing the weeks since the crash he suffered on the penultimate day of the Itzulia Basque Country.

“Hi all! I felt like it was time for an update about my situation,” Vader posted on Instagram alongside a photo taken on a hospital exercise bike. “The past three weeks have been very insecure for me and the people around me. So this was the main reason to keep the news a bit global. This gave me and my family time to focus on what’s really important. The team and my family always kept good contact and we are super happy about this process! Now the situation is improving day by day, I’d like to tell you a little more about my situation.”

He went on to explain the immediate aftermath of the crash, which occurred on a fast descent 100km from the finish of stage 5.

“I crashed hard in [Itzulia Basque Country] and ended up on the intensive care in Bilbao with fractures all over my upper body. The most critical at that time was that I also had some vein related problems, so my brain was limited time without oxygen.

“I’ve been kept under anesthesia for two weeks to give my body time to recover as good as possible. I don’t remember anything from the day I crashed until I woke up two weeks later. So I’m awake since a bit more than a week now.”

His injuries were reported near the time of the accident, but it’s clear Vader was lucky not to come away with much worse.

“I basically had to learn everything from zero again. Also walking took some time. I’m super lucky to ‘walk away’ from this after this crash.”

A few days after being brought out of the induced coma, Vader was able to return to the Netherlands, and he’s now confirmed that he is well enough to go home.

“In the mean time I’ve been transfered to the Erasmus hospital in Rotterdam where different specialists had a look on my fractures. Turns out I’m good to leave the hospital tomorrow [Saturday April 30] and work on my further recovery at home.”

The 26-year-old finished with a message for his followers, the race doctor and his team.

“I want to thank all of you for the massive support! It really gave me strength to come back on top of this. Also a big thank you to the race doctor of Itzulia Basque Country for handling quickly and saving my life. And last but not least a big thank you to the whole Jumbo-Visma family for the support and compassion!”

Editors' Picks