Syrian women rally against harassment, Rebellin races on: Daily News Digest

by caley Fretz

December 4, 2017

300 Syrian women rally in Damascus against harassment of female cyclists; Bouhanni reveals his optic nerve was damaged in crash; Davide Rebellin races on; a Tasmanian start for Race to the Rock in 2018; Former US national champion banned for four years after being implicated by ex-partner; Magnus Cort breaks collarbone in training; Video: Colle del Nivolet inspiration

Bouhanni: ‘I almost lost my sight’

by VeloClub

After crashing hard on stage three of the Tour of Yorkshire, and exiting the race while sitting second overall in the Tour de Yorkshire, Nacer Bouhanni has revealed just how serious his crash was. Speaking to the French website Cyclism Actu, he said that he the consequences could have been life-changing.

“When I crashed badly at the Yorkshire Tour late last April, what no one else knew, other than the 20 days of mandatory rest because of my head trauma, is that the optic nerve in my eyes was pretty damaged,” he said. “That is to say, I just saw badly. I couldn’t see 100%. And sometimes, when fatigued, I happened to see double. Basically, I almost lost my sight.”

Bouhanni’s fall happened on May 30 and he was out of action until the start of the Critérium du Dauphiné on June 4. He was third on stage two, second in the French road race championships and then fourth on two stages of the Tour de France. The Frenchman said that sight issues continued to affect him in the latter event, although thankfully seeing double was rare. But even though his sight was not 100%, he stressed that he was not a public danger in races due to his vigilance.

Bouhanni said that he received good news this week after medical examinations in the Nancy-Brabois University Hospital. “After seven months of worry and doubt, where I have never been able to talk about it openly and to anyone other than my Cofidis team, it has been confirmed to me that my visual faculties are finally 100%. Normally, according to what the doctors and professor Georges of the Nancy-Brabois University Hospital told me just after my fall, my recovery should have taken 12 months. So you will understand my relief to see that after only seven months, everything is finally back in order.”

Click through to read the full story at Cyclism Actu.