VeloClub is CyclingTips’ membership program which brings us closer to our members, and connects likeminded cycling enthusiasts.
by Matt de Neef
January 9, 2017
In today’s edition of the CyclingTips Daily News Digest: Miles Scotson solos to thrilling Australian road race title; Garfoot adds women’s Australian road race title to tally in Orica-Scott one-two; Sam Jenner solos to Australian U23 road race title; Joe Cooper wins his second New Zealand road race title; Rushlee Buchan takes record-breaking fourth New Zealand road race title; Cyclocross national champions crowned; Chris Froome and Cadel Evans interview one another; Miles Scotson’s national champion’s jersey; Alberto Contador’s indoor training video; When indoor training and gymnastics collide.
While road national championships have been going on in Australia and New Zealand, many northern hemisphere nations have been having holding their cyclocross national championships. Here’s a summary of some of the more significant results:
– US women: Katie Compton won an incredible 13th straight title after leading from lap 1.
– US men: Stephen Hyde wins his first CX national title, despite a mechanical on the last lap.
– Dutch men: Mathieu van der Poel won his third title in a row just 10 days after a big crash.
– Dutch women: Marianne Vos’ comeback continued with her sixth national CX title.
– Belgian men: Wout Van Aert won his second consecutive title, leading solo from the first lap.
– Belgian women: Sanne Cant won her eighth straight title just a few seconds clear of second place.
– Luxembourg women: Christine Majerus took her eighth national CX win and her 25th senior national title across all disciplines.