Your Wednesday Daily News Digest

by Mark Zalewski

March 29, 2017

In today’s CyclingTips Daily News Digest: Gilbert solos to win in De Panne opener; Summerhill takes over lead with stage win at Tour de Taiwan; Dr. Freeman breaks silence on medical package contents; UK Sport has ‘serious concerns’ about British Cycling’s handling of Shane Sutton case; Italian federation hands down bans for pay-to-race scandal; With strong Classics showing Naesen ready for De Ronde; Cipollini laments state of Italian cycling, ‘We only have Nibali’; Joe Martin Stage Race kicks-off UCI racing in US; Tour of the Gila announces teams; L’Etape South Africa postponed due to poor road surfaces; Video: Ben King shows off riding in Lucca; Video: Hunt VI.

Italian federation hands down bans for pay-to-race scandal

by CyclingTips

The Italian Cycling Federation has given bans to two Italian team managers and a rider involved in a pay-to-race scandal that was broken by Corriere della Sera journalist Marco Bonarrigo. Androni Giocattoli manager Gianni Savio and Angelo Citracca, manager of Wilier Triestina, are banned for three months for demanding riders pay money or bring in sponsors for their racing contracts. Trek-Segafredo rider Marco Coledan has also been banned for 15 days for refusing to testify in the case, meaning he is out for the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix. The FCI acquitted Bruno Reverberi, team manager of Bardiani-CSF.

The intial news story launched an investigation by the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) which had requested the three managers be banned for between one to three years, but the Italian Cycling Federation intially rejected this. It also dismissed the claims made by Elia Viviani (Sky) that his friend Coledan had been asked to pay a penalty to leave the Bardiani team.

Matteo Mammini, a former Italian time trial champion, testified to CONI that Savio asked for €50,000 for contract with Androni. Patrick Facchini, another former rider, said that he and other cyclists like Marco Frapporti and Antonio Parrinello, were required to bring in cash sponsors to be able to race.

After the initial rejection by the FCI, Savio accused Mammini of slander and promised both civil and criminal proceedings against him to the Public Prosecutor of Turin.

In a statement about the recent decision Savio said he was “shocked” and promised to appeal.

Click through to read more at Cycling Weekly.

BACK TO TOP