In today’s CyclingTips Daily News Digest: Strength in numbers: Quick-Step goes 1-2 from breakaway at Dwars Door Vlaanderen; Lotta Lepistö wins Dwars door Vlaanderen; Valverde wins in Catalunya, Van Garderen into lead; Movistar team responds to Catalunya TTT relegation; Team Wiggins left out of Tour de Yorkshire; Lars Boom ‘In Astana I lacked the necessary support’; Reijnen comes away with a few stitches after crashing into ditch at Dwars door Vlaanderen; British amateur cyclist suspended two years for doping positive; Cylance men’s team to race entirely on disc brakes; Trofeo Alfredo Binda highlights; Kenny Belaey rides the UCI HQ; Video: Flanders Classics 2016 compilation.
Your Thursday Daily News Digest
With his new team, LottoNL-Jumbo, Lars Boom is hoping to find more success in the Spring Classics than he had when he raced with Astana. The 31-year-old Dutchman said that he never felt he had the support he needed to accomplish those goals, with the team choosing to have multiple riders looking for the win instead of one true leader.
“In Astana I lacked the necessary support,” he told De Telegraaf. “Besides me we had Lutsenko and Grivko also for the finals of those races.
“The current riders on LottoNL-Jumbo have perfectly trained in recent years with Sep Vanmarcke [as leader]. They have the experience and can bring me deep into the race. With their support, I will be fresher for the finales.”
Boom said that he plans to race well into his 30s, so is not putting too much pressure on himself to perform this year.
“Of course I want to be on the podium. That up to now I have so far failed at that is not really a frustration. It’s not that this is one of my last chances to see these Classics. I want another five or six years.”
Click through to read more at De Telegraaf.