VeloClub is CyclingTips’ membership program which brings us closer to our members, and connects likeminded cycling enthusiasts.
by Shane Stokes
October 26, 2017
Moscon inks new Sky contract, Reichenbach requests video evidence of claimed assault; Ochowicz hails strong season by BMC, explains decision to cut roster in 2018; Breschel returns to Slipstream Sports determined to win again; Earle signs contract with Israel Cycling Academy; Rally Cycling signs Ty Magner from Holowesko-Citadel; Axeon Hagens Berman adds US national U23 crit champion Revard; Video: CyclingTips Vlog from the Tour of Guangxi; Cavendish clips out at high speed during London Six Day; Sagan becomes a father
Despite recent controversies, it appears that Gianni Moscon has been given a new contract with Team Sky. According to VeloPro.net, the Italian has secured a two-year extension to his current deal, thus taking him up to the end of 2019.
Winner of the Arctic Race of Norway in 2016, his first season with the team, Moscon was fifth in this year’s Paris-Roubaix and third in the more recent Il Lombardia. He was also a strong worker for the team. However his season has been a controversial one, with the 23-year-old given a six-week suspension by his team after racially abusing black FDJ rider Kevin Reza in April.
He was also disqualified from the world road championships after taking an illegal tow from the Italian team car. Earlier this month he was accused of deliberately causing Sébastien Reichenbach to crash in the Tre Valli Varesine race in Italy; Reichenbach fell heavily on a descent and suffered a fractured elbow and hip.
After the crash Reichenbach said that Moscon ‘voluntarily threw me to the ground’ and suggested the incident was linked to the abuse of Reza. Reichenbach had made the latter incident public by tweeting about it, although he didn’t name Moscon by name at the time. He has lodged a complaint about his crash with both the police and the UCI, who are investigating.
Moscon denied the claim, suggesting that Reichenbach’s hands slipped off the handlebars. The latter rejects this and states that other riders have agreed to back up his claim of assault. He has now called on any fans with footage of the crash to come forward, telling Swiss newspaper Blick that he is hoping a spectator may have video evidence. “He has to pay for it,” he said, referring to his crash. “Maybe a fan filmed the situation.” He added that thus far no footage has emerged.