Your Friday Daily News Digest

by Mark Zalewski

December 2, 2016

In today’s CyclingTips Daily News Digest: Chris Froome to start his 2017 season in Australia at Cadel’s Race and the Sun Tour; Gaimon begins retirement by hunting banned rider’s Strava KOMs; Paddy Bevin on his WorldTour debut: ‘I took a bit of a beating’; UCI and Wanda Sports sign partnership to transform cycling in China; Shane Sutton on short list for Cycling Australia high performance director job; Tom Veelers announced retirement due to ongoing knee injury; Why not Froome as BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year?; Peter Sagan Wins Velo D’Or; Hayman backs Matthews’ team move for green jersey aspirations; Wiggins listed on British Cycling’s 2017 podium programme; Cylance Pro Cycling names men’s roster; No Grand Départ for Portsmouth in 2019, but hopes for a future bid; Controversy brewing over grant for Irish government head’s cycling club; Colombian cycling photographer Horacio Gil Ochoa.

No Grand Départ for Portsmouth in 2019, but hopes for a future bid

by CyclingTips

The plans to host the 2019 Tour de France Grand Départ in Portsmouth were all but dead by October, and it seems the Portsmouth City Council has finally admitted defeat in the matter. However, it still it hoping to bring the event to the south coast in the future, despite the uphill battle.

Portsmouth was hoping to bid for the Grand Depart like the 2015 start in Utrecht.

Portsmouth was hoping to bid for the Grand Depart like the 2015 start in Utrecht.

The council requires £2 million from the government to launch its bid. British Cycling had already said the plan was not feasible for 2019, particularly after the UCI awarded the Road World Championships to Yorkshire in that year.

“To secure 2019 would have been going some but that was the aspiration,” said Donna Jones, PCC’s leader. “But just because we aren’t going to have it in 2019, it doesn’t mean we won’t have it.”

The bid is reportedly a joint effort with its French sister city Caen, with Portsmouth hosting two days and Caen one.

“We are still hoping to do that but it was always going to be between 2019 and 2025; you build a bid that could work any time in that period,” said Jones. “We are in dialogue with Tour organisers ASO and it is healthy and ongoing.”

Click through to read more at Cycling Weekly.

BACK TO TOP