Login to VeloClub|Not a member?   Sign up now.

Your Thursday Daily News Digest

by Mark Zalewski

February 16, 2017

In today’s CyclingTips Daily News Digest: Hermans wins Tour of Oman, stage 2; Valderde wins Ruta Del Sol opener; Gaviria wins first stage of Volta ao Algarve; Riders’ association protests disc brake usage without further safety measures; After a shining Tour performance, Pantano nurturing a big long-term goal; 2017 Paris-Roubaix to feature more cobbles than in 2016; No Cauberg finish for Amstel Gold Race in 2017; 2017 Women’s Tour to finish in London; Inga Thompson returning to cycling to advocate for the women’s peloton; Shane Perkins to race with Russia in bid for Tokyo 2020; Successful surgery for Chris Butler; Abu Dhabi Tour announces provisional start list; ‘One More Brew’ Garburn Winter Cyclocross.

Riders’ association protests disc brake usage without further safety measures

by Shane Stokes

Disc brakes may be back in use this season after the UCI relaxed temporary constraints on their usage, but the riders’ association CPA is not satisfied. The body has protested the reintroduction of the devices via its president Gianni Bugno, who told the UCI Equipment commission that the majority of riders are not in favour with their use without previously-requested safety conditions.

In a letter sent by Bugno to the UCI Commission, the CPA said that riders required discs edges to be rounded and to be fitted with a safety guard. These measures are presumably intended to prevent cutting and/or burning risks in the event of a crash. The third requirement is that all the riders should use the new system at the same time, thus removing the possibility that some will have more efficient braking systems than others.

While the first requirement has already been met, the other two have not been implemented. The CPA states that some solutions are under consideration for request two, but that no satisfactory answer has been given for the third.

“At this point, there is a reason to believe that it is not yet time to start these tests,” said Bugno in his letter. “As we have said several times, we are not against the technological innovation, but we are worried above all by the safety of the riders on the road.”

Bugno, a former professional rider who won two world championships, has protested that some riders are already using such systems even though the equipment commission is still working to improve their safety.

Click through to read more at CyclingTips.

Comments are closed.

BACK TO TOP
31 NEW ARTICLES