In today’s CyclingTips Daily News Digest: De Boer wins in Hoogstraten, Cant retains Superprestige lead; Van der Poel wins Hoogstraten and extends Superprestige lead; Maud Kaptheijns surprises in a muddy Krawatencross Lille; Van der Poel beats van Aert in Krawatencross; UCI issues new guidelines to boost safety in the race convoy; Van aert not troubled by double runner-up weekend; Accusations of motor doping by van Aert renewed after Krawatencross; Ethiopia approves prison sentences for doping; 32nd Ride the Rockies route announced; Wiggins eyeing acting after reality TV?; Backstage Pass – Jayco Herald Sun Tour, stage 4; Driver attempts to strike cyclist who also happens to be a cop; MacAskill barely clears head of comedian Jack Whitehall.
Your Tuesday Daily News Digest
Heading towards the one year anniversary of the death of Antoine Demoitiè during the Gent-Wevelgem event, the UCI has tightened up on its safety procedures and instructions for the movement of vehicles in the race convoy.
The governing body issued the guidelines on Monday, having collaborated on the revisions with the professional teams association AIGCP, the pro riders’ association CPA and the international association of race organisers AIOCC.
Jean-Francois Pescheux, who acted as the technical director for the Tour de France for almost 40 years, was also involved in the new rules and recommendations.
UCI president Brian Cookson referred to the guide as an important step forward, and said that it “reflects the concrete efforts made by the UCI and all stakeholders to improve the safety of riders at competitions.”
Cookson added that the new document came on the heels of regulations which were strengthened last year. He said that it was proof of the UCI’s determination to “assume our responsibilities in the face of a capital issue: the security of our sport and our athletes.”
Click through to read more at CyclingTips.